Theses days it seems coconut is popping up everywhere. Whether it be coconut water, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut ice cream, or shredded coconut, I feel like everywhere I turn I see a product containing coconut!
And I’m totally jumping on the bandwagon.
I’ve been buying coconut water to rehydrate my body after a hard workout….
And coconut milk to use in smoothies and to bake with….
Along with unsweetened shredded coconut which I also use in smoothies and baking….
And last but not least I’ve been buying coconut oil.
The primary focus of this post is coconut oil and it’s multiple health benefits. Coconut oil is a somewhat controversial topic right now in the health and nutrition fields, as some say to avoid it because of its high saturated fat content. Most agree that it is good to use coconut oil sparingly when cooking and not as your primary oil source. However, some believe that it is fine to use on a regular basis when cooking. The Huffington Post has a great article titled Coconut Oil Benefits: When Fat is Good For You that claims coconut oil is good for your body when used regularly.
Health Benefits of coconut oil include:
- It increases your metabolism, which in turn helps your body burn fat and lose weight.
- It contains lauric acid, which has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- It helps increase your immune system.
- It is good for your heart and helps minimize the risk for heart disease.
- It helps regulate blood sugar.
- More health benefits of coconut oil can be found at Coconut Research Center, Natural Health Strategies, and Dr. Oz.
Uses for coconut oil:
- Coconut oil is not just used as an oil or butter replacement in cooking. Coconut oil can be used for multiple health related issues. Uses for coconut oil is best summed up on this website 160 Ways to Use Coconut Oil. Hybrid Rasta Mama did a beautiful job gathering information and providing you with the many, many ways you can use coconut oil. From bug bites to breast feeding to allergy relief and skin treatments, Rasta Mama’s list will certainly have a use to fit one of your needs!
I will write another post within a few days on coconut recipes, so stay tuned!